Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Gabby Mom's-February Mission:Encouraging Moments

"Hi Sweetie, how was your day?" "hmpf...school was a flop today, I forgot a key ingredient for dinner, the baby is in a foul mood, the laundry is over my head, & hey, ya know I really need you to please dump the garbage & would you please wrangle in the girls?? Also, when you get a sec we need to go over the budget...again. But, hey, I'm gonna hide in the room for a minute, I just need to slow down OK??"
"uh...OK"

AHHHH!!!! This isn't a script! This was just yesterday, how many times has my marriage become a business arrangement or "all about me" Woohoo selfish little me...blahh..
This was convicting, like smack me in the head with a hammer. Yea, I know..."a hammer is not a tool of recovery". Nonetheless, I felt kinda bad as all this came to mind while reading The Gabby Mom's February mission, It was to review Encouraging Moments, the newsletter from Eternal Encouragement Magazine.


Something Lorrie said that really hit home was "Marriage isn't supposed to make you happy. It's supposed to make you married. It's your job to make your marriage happy and satisfying."
Ding! Ding! Ding!!! Yeah, those are my dings, not Lorrie's.
Well, as of late my marriage has been more about living through the day & flopping into bed than even thinking about happiness. Being a mommy is hard work & although my wee ones & not so wee ones are a blessing, some days I'm just zonked! And crabby, and self centered, & well, when the Hubby walks in I get this vision of him...with a cape & huge grin & he has "COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!"
Soooo, in my little scenario where are his needs being met? How am I bringing happiness to him or parenting my children with a good example of what marriage really ought to be??
OUCH....
But, thankfully this newsletter is full of encouragement & advice...go figure =)
Lorrie lists some wonderful points on the subject of a successful marriage and an unhappy one:
  • living life "around" your disagreements
  • taking a "team" attitude toward compromise
  • loving in spite of differences
  • understanding and empathy for your husband's position
  • knowing that quietly talking about differences can strengthen the relationship and improve intimacy
  • knowing that avoiding conflicts doesn't make them go away
Now, I can honestly say The Hubby & I have some of this under our belts however, I struggle with a few. One point popped out at me:

knowing that quietly talking about differences can strengthen the relationship and improve intimacy

Well, "quietly talking" is not something that comes natural to me. I come from a home where yelling to make your point was the norm so it's a constant struggle. Thankfully, God blessed me with a man who is patient with his er...uh...octively challenged wife *smirk*

I highly recommend subscribing to the Encouraging Moments Newsletter so be sure to visit www.homemaking with TEACH.com and subscribe (on the top right of the website)

Another super duper thing you hafta check out while there is Lorrie's website called Chick Flicks for Moms



This Chick Flick website is awesome! It's like little bites of wisdom to just chew on & savor. She all sorts of topics, communication, homemaking, whining..the kids whining we don't get to do that. Each clip is only a few minute so I won't mind if you just head over there & check one out....go ahead...

“I am reviewing Encouraging Moments as an official member of The Gabby Moms blogging program for Eternal Encouragement magazine. I did not receive compensation for this post and all opinions are solely my own.”


No comments:

Post a Comment