Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Homemade "Poptarts"

OK, I came across a recipe for "Homemade Healthy Poptarts" & mentioned how I'd like to give 'em a go. I looked over the recipe & it appeared simple enough, it only called for 5 ingredients so how could I mess this up right??



So we melted the 1 cup of butter & mixed it with
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup plain yogurt

The next step was to "knead the dough just a little bit to make it nice and workable"



So that's what we did, however the dough doesn't look like regular dough, at least not to me it did. Instead it's quite flaky & annoying. Far from workable, I really fought with this stuff....but we eventually got it rolled out on the table & covered with flour.





Then we took a pizza cutter & cut out pop tart sized "rectangles" mmmmm...right. They were shaped interestingly to say the least. Then we added about a 1/2 teaspoon of jelly on 1/2 of the dough rectangles, really...this is what the recipe calls for. 1/2 teaspoon, well, lemme just tell you that as a kid I liked the jelly gooing out the sides. With a 1/2 teaspoon there's no goo *sigh*
So, I would say bump it up a bit if you're like me & the jelly needs to jump up & say "hi!"
Oh, & make sure to spread the jelly around, leaving the edges free so it doesn't all out explode.



Match up the bad boys according to size & use a fork to pinch the edges shut. Then have your adorable kid put in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350° oven for about 25 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
See the munchkin peeking over there waiting for her snack =)



Then watch said kid thoroughly enjoy her pop tart creation!!




The Blessed Supermom





1 comment:

  1. Yum! I need to pass this to my sister who lives in Dubai. Here boys love pop tarts & they cannot get them over there. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete