Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Book Review: In Constant Prayer



In Constant Prayer by Robert Benson is an installment in Thomas Nelsons "The Ancient Practices" series. This series explores the ancient traditions of the church, it includes subjects such as Fasting, Tithing, Communion, & of course Prayer. The author takes you into the "Daily Office"
The Daily Office of prayer requires praying certain prayers at certain times of the day. Example prayers were included at the end of the book and they were indeed useful for a personal reference on what was being discussed.
I believe if you are interested in observing "fixed-hour prayers" this book would be of a help to you. It could be quite resourceful. That said, it was difficult for me to continue with this read. I can't say keeping the "divine offices" is wrong nor bad. It's just not something I see myself doing. I do believe it's important to schedule time with God as the author himself points out. However, I felt this was more "schedule & check off my list"
For myself personally, the concept felt sterile. I would like to combine the ancient practice with a more personal approach, which would be to set specific time aside for God, an appointment if you will, & then get deep & personal with Him.

I received a copy of this book for free from Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze blogger review program. All opinions are solely my own

No comments:

Post a Comment