Monday, September 13, 2010

The Writings on the Carpet

Some time back, we had an "experience"
I was sitting on the sofa doing absolutely nothing cuz ya know that's what we SAHM's do...nothing. Oh wait, no scratch that...I was folding laundry when I heard an uproar in the nursery. The Hubby was howlin & The Monkey was scrambling out of the room. He was hot on her heels & all he said to me was "you" as he pointed to the nursery.
So, I nervously went in to find Monkey had "colored" a picture on the carpet with purple marker. Initially, I was nervous because we own a purple sharpie but then I realized that a Crayola Washable Marker was the culprit.

I couldn't help but smile as I looked at her artwork.



However, as adorable this little pic is I couldn't leave it there let alone allow her to think this was acceptable. So I grabbed some rubbing alcohol & towels and The Monkey & I went to work. As I was figuring exactly where to begin I once again asked God to please show me how to use this situation to penetrate Monkey's heart. I knew I could get upset with her & she'd more than likely not do it again but I really wanted to move her little spirit. After all that's what God does when I fall short & He's the best example of a parent you can get!
So, after praying, Monkey & I had a conversation as we cleaned. First I asked her to begin rubbing the carpet as hard as she could with the cloth. Of course, it wasn't coming off in the least & she was getting very frustrated. I told her the markings on the carpet are like sin on our hearts, we can't remove them on our own no matter how hard we try. Then I poured the alcohol on the marker & after letting it settle a few minutes, blotted it up with a towel. She was amazed! It just kinda disappeared! I told her the alcohol is like Jesus' blood, His blood covers our sins & washes them away.
She was really impressed & frankly...so was I. I just wanted to jump up & down, I mean here my 4 year old & I were having this amazing conversation & I felt like a really good Supermom. However, nothing with The Monkey is ever so simple. After a good two minutes, she was all frustrated again trying to clean the marker herself!!! I again explained the need for the alcohol & how it's impossible to do this alone.
*hint hint..nudge nudge*
Ya know little girl? Jesus? Blood? Sin???
Didn't we just do this????
Well, now she wasn't all that amazed, instead she was irritated & had an attitude of "just poor the stuff outta the bottle already so I can watch Elmo"
Oh well, I don't consider it a complete bust, we had a good talk, she apologized, & seeds were planted. I think her little brain could only contain so much.
But then ya know what happened right?

God does what He always does to me. He took me from teacher to student. I couldn't help feeling convicted. How many times do I "forget" the power of the precious blood shed for me & try to rub my stained heart clean on my own? How many times do I get distracted from what HE is trying to teach me only to run off & live life as I please?

He is the only one who can cleanse me, I know too often I fall into an attitude of self righteousness & pride & don't want Him to "see" my stains. But, I long to be an example for my daughters. I long to please God by allowing Him full access to my heart & all that it holds, including that which I'd rather not be seen.
So, what began as a teachable moment for my daughter became a learning lesson for me. I close with this scripture, I plan on living this. I hope you do too.


“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.”
Psalms 139:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment