Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lord Of The Flies...

OK, so I have issues...with flies. While most people are scared of things like men with chainsaws & dogs foaming at the mouth, I am completely freaked out by flies. It's not that they're scary looking, I mean let's be real...they're ugly but not scary.
It's that they hate me...they're out to get me...
OK maybe not really but what if I'm right???
It started when I was a little girl, not even 10. I was at the beach & while my Dad, sis, & brother went for a swim I stayed back with Mommy. As my mom tried to relax & lay on the sand I proceeded to take on every single fly that had the audacity to land on her. Now get this picture in your mind...exhausted sweaty mama laying there as her caring albeit overzealous daughter beats the daylights out of her. So she kindly instructs me to please stop smacking her & find something else to do.
What did I find to do you ask???
Eat....
I promptly stuffed my face with food & every other vile germ that the Fly Demons gave me. Naturally I became very ill. I mean knock down drag out stupid goofy sick. With all the symptoms I had the Dr asked my mama if I'd recently been to an underdeveloped country!!
Well, that little incident & a few others got me pretty paranoid around flies.

So the other day when flies decided to invade my home I completely wigged out. At first one buzzed past me & I got annoyed at the thought of dealing with the nasty thing. So, I stopped sitting around doing nothing & reached for my fly swatter. As I swatted at the evil insect of hell I realized it wasn't alone....it had brought many. In the span of 45 minutes I had killed roughly 12 flies!!!

I was a complete basket case, I mean screaming in fear as I swatted at these flies & The Bear & Monkey looked on laughing thinkin this was just hysterical. Once the hubby came home & saw my state he took over & prayed for my lunacy.

So in the past few days I've been cleaning. I mean O.C.D. deeeeep cleaning. Moving appliances, taking down curtains, pulling apart cabinets. Getting way down to the nitty gritty ya know? I kept thinkin there could be gross little fly babies hiding somewhere...EEEEEWEEWEWWWWWWW!!!!!

In my cleaning fervor I thought "God, what in the world am I to learn from this?? What can I possibly gain from bein down on my hands & knees cleaning everything inside & out because of nasty flies???"
He answered "SIN"
I'm being completely honest. It was clear as a bell.
"SIN"
I got to thinkin' when was the last time I put this much effort into cleaning out my heart? Have I really spent time going deep? Or has it just been the surface?
Get out my dishrag & do a quick once over thinkin "hmm... that looks good, I'll really get in there tomorrow"
Problem is, life happens & tomorrow never comes. Before ya know it, the heart which is the wellspring of life (Proverbs 4:23) becomes over run with nasty buzzing thoughts & feelings which begin to overwhelm you. God's word encourages us to give Him access to our hearts.

Psalm 139:23-24 (King James Version)
23Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.


So ladies, I ask you...when was the last time you went deep? When was the last time you allowed God to do a thorough cleaning? I encourage you to spend some time asking Him to bring to light what's beneath the surface.
It can & most likely will be messy & somewhat repulsive. But you'll be glad you did it.

The Blessed Zookeeper

1 comment:

  1. What great thoughts - all spawned by some deep cleaning! Impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete